HUN-REN Supports Open Science
As part of the Open Science initiative, research is performed in collaboration, and all research data and information generated during the research process is free to use, view and access. HUN-REN has undertaken a leading role in supporting Open Science in Hungary. This includes:
HUN-REN HQ has signed the National Position Paper on Open Science, a statement initiated by the Hungarian National Research, Development and Innovation Office which describes the principles of open science that best serve the interests and development of Hungarian science, and also summarizes its main areas of activity.
HUN-REN HQ has contributed to the significant upgrading of the capacity of the HUN-REN Cloud, one of Hungary's most important IT cloud systems for research purposes, and also supports the HUN-REN Cloud service hosted by the HUN-REN Institute for Computer Science and Control and the HUN-REN Wigner Research Centre for Physics.
The main objectives of the HUN-REN Cloud are:
- To provide a computing infrastructure of European standard and capacity to HUN-REN researchers and the entire Hungarian research community.
- To provide support for artificial intelligence research.
- To promote a culture of cloud use among Hungarian researchers.
- To support researchers in adapting their applications to the cloud.
- To connect to the European IT infrastructure development ecosystem.
The HUN-REN Cloud has joined the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) initiative, which provides an open, multidisciplinary IT environment for researchers, developers, businesses and citizens.
The HUN-REN Cloud is part of the latest roadmap of the European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI). As part of the SLICES initiative, the roadmap outlines a 10-15-year timeframe for providing a pan-European pilot infrastructure for digital sciences in order to develop the internet of the future.
HUN-REN HQ has launched the HUN-REN Data Repository project, which aims to develop a digital infrastructure for the management of research data according to FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable) principles.
The main characteristics of the HUN-REN Data Repository include:
- The new platform supports the increased visibility, accessibility and long-term conservation of Hungarian scientific findings.
- Three HUN-REN research sites, the HUN-REN Institute for Computer Science and Control, the HUN-REN Centre for Social Sciences and the HUN-REN Wigner Research Centre for Physics are involved in the implementation of the project.
- Scheduled date for making the digital infrastructure available to users: December 31, 2023.
As part of the open access concept, HUN-REN HQ and the HUN-REN research sites, as member institutions of the Electronic Information Service National Programme (EISZ) have the option for open access publication in any scientific journals where the EISZ has an agreement with the publishers. In addition, users can also access these journals either free of charge or at a discount.